Thursday, July 10, 2008

Growing Potatoes in Tires -- 7 days later

When I started my garden, my mother suggested that I grow potatoes. Even though this is my first attempt at vegetable gardening myself, I have memories of helping my parents at their attempt to grow potatoes in a large plot of land a family friend let them use.
If my memory serves me correctly, it was unsuccessful. I only remember turning over some very dry soil. Actually my parents were doing the real work, while my younger brother and I explored the huge property. I remember the area was large, it took up a lot of garden space, maybe 50'x50'. What I don't remember is ever returning to check on the potatoes or reaping the rewards of a harvest.

So, at first, I quickly dismissed the idea of growing potatoes in my suburban backyard because of the space requirement. After a little bit of reading, however, I found out that trash cans and tires are being used by many suburban gardeners to grow potatoes in a small space.
Everything you have heard or read about potatoes growing in any soil condition is true. I have potatoes sprouting in my vermicomposting bin! We dug up some hedges in the yard, and I tossed the dirt and grass from that into a tire, then waited.

It didn't take long to see results. July 1, I noticed a bit of green in the tire, but almost dismissed it as a fallen leaf or some garden weed I had through in there. The picture was taken the next day, July 2. That plant seems to grow right every time I blink. Imagine how fast it was growing each day to look like this seven days later. Amazing.



No comments: